Saturday, November 5, 2016

My first batch of algae growth media and agar petri dishes

As I stated before, I followed the instructable - http://www.instructables.com/id/Simple-Algae-Home-CO2-Scrubber-Part-II-Culturing/?ALLSTEPS - Simple Algae Home CO2 Scrubber - Part II Algae Cultures and Breeding.

First I gathered garden soil and microwaved several times in microwave and boiled for an hour, thinking this would eliminate any living creatures in the soil and leave just the natural soil nutrients.



Sieved the dirt



Added 10 grams of chalk and 14 tablespoons of soil to make 2 gallons of media.



Boiled soil mixture and water




Poured equally into open mouth quart jars
put in coke bottle caps full of miracle grow at
1.5 tbsp per gallon. All of them sealed fine.



Allowed to cool then mix 1/2 quart with
7 grams agar and pour into petri dishes.
They set perfectly!!




Converted my cooler fridge into an incubator.






I monitored the temperature and it started out fine at 80 but then it kept creeping up to over 100 degrees. I think this may have have some effect on NOTHING growing in my petri dishes after 20 days. should see something after 4-7 day or even 10 days but nothing after 20 days in incubator.


Tried growing the samples in my circular vertical tube photobioreactor and after a week was is still clear.



So I deducted that there might be something wrong with the soil.

This is an image of my garden -


Everything is brown because I spray it down with high powered weed killer.
The directions said fine to plant after a week and I sprayed 3 weeks before this.
Maybe JUST maybe this may have had a dramatic effect.

At any rated doing the soil growth media was a bit of a hassle so in my next post
I will document using the new methods described in the youtube videos in my last
post.



No comments:

Post a Comment